Monday, December 31, 2007

What in the world?

...are we teaching our kids?

Yes, yesterday was quite a day. After I got the kids skates on and them out on the rink I sat down to put on mine. Three boys came up and sat down. One got his skates on and was off on the rink. The second had his on and was waiting. The third was working on his. Then I hear this conversation:

Boy #1: Are you coming yet?
Boy #3: Oh, just go die!
Me: Hey, that was not a very nice thing to say to your friend.


Boy #2 takes off and the rink and Boy #3 turns to me and says, "Can you help get these on?"

I proceeded to help him like a mother without any further comment and he joined his friends.

Afterwards I thought, "Did I just miss an opportunity?" I'm sure I could have shared more about the love of Christ and how to treat your "friends" with respect, but I just couldn't get past the fact that without any further thought, an 11-12 year old boy told his friend to just go die. What kind of life does this child lead? Where did he hear that? Do his parents talk like that? His friends?

Oh, and let me add, chivalry is dying again too...try taking two little kids with their arms full of snow gear around with a ton of kids. I open the door for them and before they can step through a line of kids come barging through about knocking them over. Not once, but about three times. Ok, ending rant and starting the life lesson for us.

Next time we are at a store, or at a door, or driving in our cars, let's sit back and relax a little and remember the only thing worth rushing for is eternity, but that is WORTH WAITING FOR. Anything here is only for a moment. Let's teach our kids to be patient servants. Let's teach our boys to get the door for their sisters, moms, grandmas or whoever else might pass in their path. (Oh, and thanks Ron for OFFERING to carry skates for me - I appreciate the chivalry although I don't always take it - I would have dropped a few things getting them out of my arms!)

1 Peter 4:10
Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms.

What was that? "in its various forms" God's grace comes to us daily in all aspects of life, not just in one way. So let's administer it however we can today.

No comments: