Sunday, January 25, 2009

The Body of Christ...Serving...

So, today was a fun day. Our Pastor mentioned in church that he met a young lady on Friday who is 19 years old. She is in the area to get a fresh start with only her phone, purse and clothes on her back. She is moving today into an unfurnished apartment and could use things to set up house.

Well, I know I had some extra pans, kitchen utensils, knives, and food sitting around so rather than going to the grocery store, we headed back home after church to have lunch and gather what we could. Sammie had fun raiding my pantry to pick things out and I cleaned out part of a drawer of seldom-used utensils. We drove to our pastor's house to help with what they had.

When we got there, we met a few other families and took everything to this girl. Our church was able to provide a bed, a dresser, kitchen supplies and food, a coffee table, bedding, towels, cleaning supplies, crock pot, toaster, etc. The shelter she was at provided a microwave, old vacuum, household goods, ironing board and much more. I had my whole Suburban full of things for her and another family had a pick-up truck full.

It was neat to see everyone work together to provide for her.

Now, we are praying that she comes to know Christ. All I know is her first name and that she is from Chicago, IL originally. We'll just call her "M". Our pastor got to share with her Friday, I got to talk to her briefly, but not more than answering her question of if I go to "the church" too. She seems to be working hard to find a job and go to school locally. We'll see what happens in the future!

No comments: